When Charles King, F.C. “Floyd” Fuller and Gilbert S. Monroe founded The Portsmouth Sand and Gravel Company in 1913 to build the first floodwall around Portsmouth, Ohio, they also started a tradition of customer service and satisfaction that is reflected today in every job performed by McGinnis, Inc.
In 1925 Charles King married Edith McGinnis and approximately a year later her son Mac, came to work as a pilot on one of The Portsmouth Sand and Gravel Company towboats.
Upon Mr. King’s death in 1939, Mac McGinnis became marine superintendent for the company and moved it into the marine service business when he bought its first set of drydocks in 1940. This was the beginning of performing repairs on the company owned equipment and barge repairs for other customers on a limited basis that lead to the liquidation of the parent company in 1952 and the founding of The Portsmouth Docking Company.
The company continued to develop and provide barge/boat repairs and related limited services for the marine industry until 1969 when Doug McGinnis purchased the company and became its president. A drydock was moved to Ashland, Ky. and formed Ashland Drydocking Co.
In 1971 property was purchased in South Point, Ohio. A barge/boat repair facility along with a fleeting and harbor service was formed under the name McGinnis Inc. With this move and name change, McGinnis Inc. was established as a fullservice marine company serving the marine industry seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
In 1973 a drydock was taken to Burlington, Ohio and Burlington Drydocking was formed. Operations were expanded to Cincinnati, Ohio in 1975 with a harbor boat, drydock and dry cargo barge cleaning services. In 1976, Green River Midstream Services was formed while McGinnis became a fueling agent for Ashland Oil.
1979 brought the construction of a new home office and warehouse complex in South Point. Burlington Drydocking, Portsmouth Docking and Ashland Drydocking were all merged together under the name McGinnis Inc. In 1982 the South Point Landing was renovated and all drydocks were brought to the centralized South Point location to streamline operations.
McGinnis ventured to the St. Louis area for further expansion in 1988 as he purchased a repair facility in Hartford, Illinois from NICOR. The company was named National Maintenance & Repair Inc. At this time a parent company of all McGinnis companies was formed under the name of McNational Inc.
McNational Inc. currently has operations in South Point, Ohio; Coal Grove, Ohio; Wurtland, Kentucky; Wheelersburg Ohio; Ludlow, Kentucky; Cincinnati, Ohio; Ledbetter, Kentucky; Paducah, Kentucky; Hartford, Illinois; and Harahan, Louisiana.